Marijuana is one of the most beneficial and therapeutically active substances known to man.Medical Cannabis refers to the use of the drug cannabis as a physician-recommended herbal therapy, most notably as an antiemetic.
Cannabis has been used for medicinal purposes for approximately 4,000 years. Writings from ancient India confirm that its psychoactive properties were recognized, and doctors used it for a variety of illnesses and ailments. These included a whole host of gastrointestinal disorders, insomnia, headaches and as a pain reliever frequently used in childbirth.
In the 1970s, a synthetic version of THC, the primary active ingredient in cannabis, was synthesized to make the drug Marinol.
Due to the prohibition of marijuana however; it’s use as a medicine is restricted. However, recent Canadian government legislation have made it more available to patients. Patients are now able to apply for personal possession and even a limited cultivation license.
Few herbs offer a wide variety of therapeutic applications like these:
- Anxiety, Depression or Obsession: - Even though mild anxiety is a common side effect in some users, cannabis can elevate your mood and expand the mind
- Chronic pain:- Marijuana helps to alleviate the pain caused from many types of injuries and disorders.
- Epilepsy:- in some patients, epileptic seizures can be prevented with Marijuana use.
- Multiple Sclerosis:- Muscle pain, spasticity, tremors and unsteadiness are some of the effects caused by the disease that can be relieved by Marijuana.
- Cancer:- Many side effects of the medication to stop cancer can be relieve with Marijuana, some studies suggest that Marijuana tends to slow down the progress of some types of cancer.
- Glaucoma:- Marijuana relieves the internal eye pressure of glaucoma, and therefore relieving the pain and slowing or even stopping the condition.
- AIDS:- Marijuana can reduce the nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting from the condition itself and the medications as well.
“With the expansiveness that occurs with marijuana, the subject may begin to notice infinite possibilities to raise the quality of his/her life that would otherwise have remained hidden from normal, defensive consciousness. And feelings of health and happiness naturally lead to hope, which of itself can be curative.” – Joan Bello
Many obsessions or quick fixes to psychological problems can be eleviated by Marijuana as well. Many people eat because they’re depressed. If the depression is treated, the obsession to eat should be gone as well.
Any of these phycological conditions can be treated by a psychiatrist; marijuana should be an alternative therapy, used in conjunction with psychiatric therapy.
More About Marijuana:
- Marijuana – What Is Marijuana?
- Marijuana Use and Teens – Facts and Info on Smoking Pot
- Common Factors Cause Multiple Drug Use
- Characteristics of Marijuana Abuse
- Marijuana Problems